Educating Republicans and Empowering Candidates
Tickets: Click HERE
Join us on Sat. 7/18 for DeKalb GOP Breakfast with Karen Handel!
Join us at the DeKalb GOP Breakfast on Saturday July 18th from 9:00 am – 10:30 am with:
Who Will Speak On
Taking Back the Georgia 6th!
Georgia’s 6th District deserves a Member of Congress who is a proven, effective leader – a representative who really knows our community and understands that being a Member of Congress is not about a single issue, special interests, or national celebrity. It’s about serving you and fighting for you — each and every day. Our country is at a crossroads. Now, more than ever, we need serious leaders who will do the hard work needed to tackle the tough issues while standing firm against the socialist proposals of the left. Karen is running for Congress, so that we have competent, honest representation — someone fighting for all of us.
Wild Wing Café, 4788 Ashford Dunwoody Road, Atlanta, GA 30338
Required Advance Register Online HERE
NO WALK-UPS & NO CASH WILL BE ACCEPTED
- For DeKalb GOP Member – $12 per Ticket
- Non-Members & Guests – $15 per Ticket
COVID-19 Safety and Compliance – PLEASE READ:
The State of Georgia leads in the Reopening of America following the Coronavirus-19 Pandemic. In order for the DeKalb GOP to host a safe and responsible in-person event and in response to Covid-19, we are keeping in mind with CDC guidelines, The White House guidelines and aligning with the ongoing guidance for reviving a healthy Georgia with Governor Brian Kemp’s Public Health State of Emergency Executive Orders that were updated on June 29, 2020 runs through 11:59 PM on August 11, 2020 unless renewed by the Governor. We are also adhering to Governor Kemp’s “Safety Promise” Campaign to Urge Georgians to Heed Public Health Guidance. (Read the July 6th Press Release)
As such, The DeKalb GOP has made the following changes for our in-person DeKalb GOP Breakfasts in response to COVID-19 as follows:
All registrations via EventBrite are required in advance.
- There will be no day of, walk-ups permitted.
- Payment via cash, credit or e-cash (i.e. Venmo, Paypal) will not be accepted at the door.
- A hot breakfast with juice and coffee will be included. A server who will be wearing a mask and gloves will serve and administer the buffet – so no self-serving will be allowed. The breakfast line will have marked spots that will be six feet a part to allow for social distancing.
- Masks are recommended for DeKalb GOP Members and Guests. If wearing one then you are to provide your own mask.
- All Georgians can personally commit to the Georgia Safety Promise by following basic safety guidelines when in public spaces, including practicing social distance, wearing a face covering, washing and sanitizing hands, and supporting businesses that have committed to the Georgia Safety Promise.
- We will have access to the entire dining area of Wild Wings Café allowing for reserved seating to be in compliance with no more than 10 people at the same table and being 6 feet apart between tables.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR CANDIDATES
Candidates will have the opportunity to present a 2-minute pitch but will have registered via EventBrite in advance and will need to register their intent via email by Friday, July 17th at 5 pm EST to:
Marci McCarthy, Vice-Chairman Communications and DeKalb GOP Breakfast Series 2020 Chairwoman
DeKalb County Republican Party
*About our Featured Speaker:
Karen is called scrappy, determined, and resilient. She credits these qualities, along with her faith, with helping her to navigate the ups and downs of life and achieve success in business and in public service.
At 17, Karen fled an abusive home. She found a way to finish high school and graduate with her class. But her dream of college would have to wait, as real-life demands of a job became the priority. Never one to let a setback hold her back, Karen was determined to make the most of herself and life.
Karen worked her way up from clerk typist to executive roles with several global companies, including KPMG and the eyecare unit of Novartis. Karen would eventually land the role of CEO of the North Fulton Chamber of Commerce, one of Georgia’s largest chambers. Karen’s leadership skills would be tested early on – the chamber was nearly bankrupt. Karen led the organization back to solvency and out of debt, while helping to create tens of thousands of jobs in North Fulton.
Despite her business achievements, Karen felt called to something more – to serve her community and her country.
After serving as Deputy of Chief of Staff to Governor Sonny Perdue, Karen was elected Chairman of the Fulton County Board of Commissioners, the first woman to hold the office. Displaying sharp financial acumen, Karen turned a $100 million deficit into a balanced budget without raising taxes. Karen took on a corrupt sheriff and forced her out of office after she stole $7M in taxpayer funds. She secured passage of strict new ethics rules and led the way in the formation of North Fulton’s cities.
The people of Georgia elected Karen as their 26th Secretary of State. Despite liberal protests and lawsuits, Karen successfully implemented photo ID for voting. She executed an agency-wide modernization initiative, while cutting the department’s budget by nearly 20%.
In 2017, Karen won an 18-way special election for Georgia’s 6th Congressional District, defeating Jon Ossoff in the run-off in the most expensive congressional race in U.S. history. Karen was sworn in as Georgia’s first Republican woman ever elected to Congress. Karen quickly distinguished herself as one of the hardest working members of the House, serving on the Judiciary and the Education & Workforce Committees, as well as the bicameral Joint Economic Committee.
During her time in Congress, Karen focused on tackling difficult issues like human trafficking and opioid addiction, successfully working for the passage of H.R. 1865, which shut down scores of sex trafficking websites and gave our law enforcement more tools to investigate, arrest and prosecute traffickers. Karen also worked with President Trump and Republican leaders in Congress to pass the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act – the largest tax cuts in decades. To find out more about Karen’s work in Congress you can visit our issues page here.
Karen and her husband Steve have lived in GA6 for over 25 years. They share their Roswell home with their seriously spoiled Cavalier Spaniels, Abbie and Sadie.
KEY ACCOMPLISHMENTS IN CONGRESS
Karen served on the Judiciary Committee and the Education & Workforce Committee.
She was appointed as a freshman to the Joint Economic Committee, one of just several standing committees that are bipartisan and made up of both House and Senate members.
She stood up an effective constituent services operation in just two weeks and helped to resolve scores of complex situations for constituents on issues such as adoptions, veterans care and benefits, and immigration.
Karen sponsored and/or co-sponsored many bills, just a few highlights include
- Tax Cuts & Job Acts
- First Step Act (criminal justice reform)
- Immigration reform and wall funding
- Fix NICS, which addressed loopholes in the National Instant Background Check system
- School Safety legislation, providing millions to local schools to enhance security (GA6 schools received about $500k in grants)
- Ensured Hyde Protections (to prohibit federal dollars for abortion) in all budget bills
- Full funding for the 21st Century Cures Act to strengthen our country’s mental health system.
- Numerous bills to fight the opioid crisis and combat human trafficking
- Increased funding for community health centers (about 100 in GA)
- 10-year funding for the children’s health care program (PeachCare here in GA)
- Helped secure $200M transportation grant for GA400